Travel / conference awards for for life science majors
The BioME Travel/Conference Award provides funding to college graduate and undergraduate students who have had their research accepted for presentation at a professional life sciences conference.
Bioscience Association of Maine funds up to $2,000 Travel/ Conference Awards to help cover costs associated with presenting at a conference/seminar, such as registration fee, poster printing, travel, accommodation and meals during the event. Applicants must be enrolled in a Maine academic institution and reside in Maine for 6 months prior.
- Residency – must have resided in Maine for at least 6 months prior to application.
- College Enrollment – must be enrolled in an accredited college program in a life sciences field at a Maine academic institution. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply. Undergraduate students must be enrolled full-time. Graduate students must be actively enrolled in a graduate program.
- Life science majors only. Some life science majors include biology, biomedical sciences, bioengineering, ecology, virology – for a full list please see examples HERE.
- Presentation – Planned poster, paper or oral presentation at a professional life science conference or seminar that requires travel or registration to a virtual conference. Original life science research only.
- Uses – This award can be used for costs related to presenting at a conference/seminar, such as registration fee, poster printing, travel, accommodation and meals during the event.
- Note: Applicants may apply to multiple scholarships but are eligible to receive only one BioME Scholarship per academic year.
- Rolling applications – students apply all year round, up to 90 days before or after attending the event.
- Response from BioME is given within 90 days of submission. Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis in March, June, September, and December.
- March Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
- June Application Deadline: June 22, 2023
- September Application Deadline: September 22, 2023
- December Application Deadline: December 7, 2023
- Full award (up to $2,000) is disbursed after we receive recipient cost breakdown report and relevant receipts (within 90 days from receipt of your materials). Paid receipts submitted to BioME must be in the award recipients name. Please note that BioME will only send a check directly to the award recipient as a reimbursement for expenses.
- Note: Please contact [email protected] (or include information in question #27 of the application) if you would like to discuss extenuating circumstances for reimbursement prior to event.
- Follow up: We ask that the recipient acknowledges BioME at the Conference/Event and sends us a photo of their attendance. Within 90 days after the event, please provide a breakdown of costs incurred (registration fee, travel, hotel etc.) and relevant receipts. Receipts must be in recipients name.
- Can a candidate apply BEFORE the conference/seminar?
- Yes, candidates can apply up to 90 days prior to the event
- If you apply BEFORE the event, we ask that you submit the application form with attachments, including an estimate budget. Within 90 days after the event, you are required to submit cost breakdown report and receipts.
- Can a candidate apply AFTER the conference/seminar?
- Yes, candidates can apply up to 90 days following the event
- If you apply AFTER the Conference, we ask that you include actual cost breakdown report and documentation with all application materials within 90 days after the event. Please include with application attachments.
- Can a candidate attend a school out of state?
- No, not for this type of scholarship.
- What do I need to submit with my application?
- Resumé or CV
- Estimated or Actual Cost Breakdown
- Please provide an estimate on what the grant would cover, breaking down by item OR, if you are applying for the grant after the event took place, please provide actual budget.
- Relevant Receipts
- For events that already took place
- Proof of Registration and/or Acceptance to Present
- Note: Please title attachments with last name and document type ex. Smith Resume
- Can this award be used to fund international events?
- No, not at this time.
BioME Travel/Conference Award Application
If you are experiencing technical difficulties when submitting this form, please email [email protected].