Increasing visibility and influence of Maine’s life sciences industry
BioME works in a non-partisan manner with our members, policy members, partners and the public to:
- MONITOR current state legislation that affects our members and the life sciences community in Maine.
- EDUCATE policy makers and government agencies on state economy, needs, challenges and legislative priorities.
- INFORM our membership and the general public on current legislation that may affect the life science industry in Maine.
- COLLABORATE with partners, policymakers and other organizations for positive life science advocacy outcomes.
Maine’s life sciences community works to drive global health innovations, products, and services that improve and save lives. BioME works to advance state and federal policies that enable companies and entrepreneurs to convert innovative ideas into new products, services and jobs.
BioME Legislative Priorities
- Promote a supportive tax and regulatory environment
- Build strong bioscience workforce by supporting STEM education and workforce development initiatives
- Strengthen incentives for innovation and business, including funding for higher ed and research capital for startups
- Increase capital to advance bioscience in the State
BioME brings together organizations from across Maine to support and enhance the state’s life sciences industry. We collaborate with economic development organizations, incubators, accelerators and state and local governments to identify solutions and promote legislation that advances the industry.
State Legislative Tracker
BioME is working with a policy consultant to monitor State legislation pertaining to the life sciences community and take action as needed.
This legislative session BioME is supporting the following bills and monitoring additional legislation that affects the life sciences community, including bills related to labor law, bonds, gene editing task force, blue economy and aquaculture and more. The tracker linked below lists the full list of bills and is updated weekly.
LD 416 An Act To Authorize A General Fund Bond Issue For Research And Development And Commercialization (SP 197)
LD 643 An Act To Promote Research And Development In The State By Increasing The Research Expense Tax Credit (HP 420)
LD 1475 An Act To Establish A Grant Program To Promote Biomanufacturing And Biotechnology Development (SP 595)
LD 871 An Act To Provide Support For The Maine Discovery Museum’s Informal Science, Technology, Engineering And Mathematics Education Programs Throughout The State (SP 368)
For more information, and to see current legislative status of the bills BioME is monitoring, please click below. The tracker us updated weekly during session.
There are many ways for our members and community to get involved in advocacy; stay informed on active legislation related to the life sciences industry, sign or write letters to policy-makers, testify on behalf of the industry or attend advocacy-related events. Your voice is important!
BioME Legislative Reception
Join BioME on February 28th from 5-7PM at our annual BioME Legislative Reception at the Senator Inn & Spa in Augusta, ME. BioME members and supporters will have the opportunity to speak with Maine State Legislators about the bioscience industry in Maine and their policy needs.